Saturday, August 21, 2010

Short #2: A woman

Is it wrong to think that anyone who eyes you up and down means you harm, whether personally or just because?
I heard the click of a door closing and looked up to see a middle age woman in a dusty rose colored crew neck shirt and khaki pants looking in my direction with displeasure written on her face. Her eyes, an indeterminate color behind the lenses of her glasses never changed expression as she looked away and hurried past me to cross the street. I stopped watching her and turned my attention back to the process of stowing gear on a hot day. From the other side of an open door wafted laughing conversation.
I wondered what had happened in this lady's day to paste that look on her face. Did it start when she woke up and saw her reflection in the mirror above the bathroom sink? "Who is this woman staring back at me? Where is the bloom I remember so clearly, what was that, yesterday? When did those lines at the corners of my eyes come?"
Or was it the daily routine of work that put that dissatisfied look there. Did her boss ask her to complete yet another task to add to the list of things impossible to accomplish in 8 hours? That would explain the papers she carried without the convenience of a briefcase or tote bag to hold them. I'd be pissed too.
I shut the seat of my scooter and just as easily ceased further reflections on the woman and her day.

No comments: