Friday, August 20, 2010

Short #1: Street sign

Hmm. Another gray day. I can't tell anymore if the grayness comes from the light drizzle or from the constant belching of exhaust from the cars and buses and vans that inch by. I used to watch with attention the endless sea of humanity. Some would go in the buildings covered in gilt, indecipherable neon signs flashing. Folks hurrying silently by, intent on reaching their destinations. "Somewhere to be" "Had to get out of there" would float up to me on occasion.

Sometimes someone would lean up against me to talk on their phone before darting out into the street to cross to the other side. This time of day no one but me is idly watching passersby.
I've seen so much of the same. Today it's umbrellas and raincoats and hats and jackets and boots. Yesterday the same thing and the same thing the day before that.
Then the day darkens and the passersby slow down. There are fewer and fewer of them. One or two will slow down and stop for a moment to look up at me before continuing on.
Yeah. The excitement, the novelty is gone. It's all the same now. I couldn't tell you how long I've been here. Long enough though. Long enough to get gum stuck to me that has now become a part of my skin. Long enough to be kicked and dented and spray painted. Long enough for the glamour to wear off.
Sometimes I wonder what it'd be like to be knocked down. It happened to one of them on the other side of the street by a bus if I remember correctly. I think it was replaced. I couldn't tell from here if it was the same one or not. To go somewhere else, see something else...

No comments: